The United Left is committed to ensuring the privacy and confidentiality of its supporters, email recipients, and website visitors. This policy sets out how we will treat your personal information.
United Left is the “Data Controller” of your personal data; we can be contacted at:
Reference to personal data may include any information which directly or indirectly identifies you. This may include: your name, address and contact details.
The personal data you supply to us will be held in electronic and/or manual format.
The processing of personal data by the United Left will be in line with the Data Protection Act and General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). This policy reflects our duties to use information fairly, keep it secure, make sure it is accurate and keep it up to date.
Please read the following policy to understand how your personal information will be treated. It may change from time to time, so please check back periodically. It was last updated in September 2019.
How we use your personal data as a supporter
All information that the United Left holds concerning you as an individual (your personal data) will be held and processed in accordance with the provisions of the GDPR.
We collect and may process your personal data as a supporter for the following purposes:
1. the administration and management of your details we hold on file
2. to provide you with information and updates about United Left activities and campaigns
3. to build for, organise and notify you of United Left support for candidates seeking nomination for or standing for election in Unite the union elections for General Secretary and Executive Council elections and any other membership election within Unite the union
4. to notify you of United Left meetings at a regional and/or national level as well as to organise and conduct internal United Left elections, polls and ballots
5. to record and process your supporter membership payments
6. to comply with any legal requirements
We will keep your personal data confidential and will take appropriate measures to protect it against loss, theft or misuse and to safeguard your privacy. By supporting the United Left you should understand that we may use some or all of the personal data you have provided for the above purposes. Where other purposes apply, we will notify you when you provide your data.
The United Left may contact you at your home address, by telephone, SMS or email. You can unsubscribe from our contact list using the unsubscribe function on either an email from us or contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sharing of information
The United Left may share some member information with carefully selected third parties, who carry out data processing activities on our behalf, including;
- The distribution of printed materials and/or processing of authorised postal and/or electronic communications from the United Left regarding and in support of our objectives, campaigns, policies or other matters relating to your support for the United Left.
- With United Left supported candidates as appropriate to the position sought, who are standing for election for General Secretary and/or Executive Council positions within Unite the union.
- Email/web platforms and surveys
How we may use your information as a visitor to the website or as a potential supporter
Personal data submitted on this website will only be used for the purposes (or closely related purposes) that it was collected.
We may use your personal information to:
- administer the website;
- improve your browsing experience by personalising the website;
- enable your use of the services available on the website;
- send you email notifications you have specifically requested;
- deal with enquiries and complaints made by or about you relating to the website
Any personal data provided by you on any social media or other external website or service (including any that you link to from this website) will be subject to and governed by the privacy notice and policies of the organisation that operates the relevant platform/website.
Privacy and cookies
We will collect your personal data that you give to us for the purposes (or closely related purposes) for which you give it to us. Some information is gathered when you join or sign up to receive email updates.
We will collect information about your tastes and preferences, both when you tell us and by analysis of customer traffic, including using ‘cookies’.
A cookie is a piece of information that is stored on your computer’s hard drive. It is normally sent by a web server to you and enables the server to collect information back from your site visit.
Our cookie statement explains which cookies we use and why, along with where you can find more information about cookies.
Storage of data
We will keep your personal data only for the period necessary to enable us to fulfil the purpose(s) for which we collected it, to comply with our legal obligations and/or whilst we maintain a legitimate interest in retaining it.
Updating and Accessing your information
You have the right to correct the personal data we hold on you or change how we process your data/contact you. You can do this by visiting our website. If you have any questions or concerns about this policy or would like to request access or deletion of your personal data, you can do this by contacting our Data Protection Officer at email@example.com or by post at the following address;
To: United Left Data Protection Officer
Flat 1, 87 Ronalds Road, London N5 1XQ
You have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office.
Amending this policy
We may amend this policy at any time by posting a revised version on the website.